Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ippudo (Singapore) ー風堂


As per my earlier post, a friend introduced me to this new and renowned restaurant in town, Ippudo (Singapore). I went on a weekday at around 7pm and a long queue has already been formed in front of the restaurant.
Ippudo serves 2 types of broth, the Shiromaru and the Akamaru; which is added with Ippudo special made Miso paste. I ordered the Shiromaru classic as I want to try the original tonkotsu soup base which is supposing to be more refreshing and light.

Shiromaru classic with Chashu, $15The Shiromaru is the original version of their tonkotsu broth with slices of simmered pork loin charshu, cabbage and spring onions. The broth tasted flavorful but I find it a bit to the salty side. Nevertheless I must comment that the noodle is well cooked as the springy texture remains.
Goma Q, Japanese cucumber with sesame seeds
Japanese cucumber served with mixture of sesame oil, shoyu sauce, chilli flakes and sesame seeds. Freshly cut cucumber which is refreshing, serves in bite size which leads you to pop it into your mouth one by one without realizing how many you have ate.

GyozaI always love Japanese Gyoza. No matter where I go to, I will order a portion.
I love the skin, which is so thin that you can see the filling in it. However, I feel that it could be presented in a nicer way and each Gyoza is way too scantily filled.

During my 1 hour visit in the restaurant, the crowd has been constant. There is a mix of mainly curious eaters; the white collar like me or tertiary students.
And of course, not to mention Japanese in Singapore whom have been swept away by the reputation of Ippudo (Tokyo).
The founder of the company, Shigemi Kawahara who is known as “Ramen King” as he won nationwide ramen-making competition three years in a row. Despite its firm standing in the ramen industry, Ippudo only set up branches in 2 overseas countries, one in New York (Manhattan), 2008 and in Singapore last December.
Overall I think it is worth a try as how many people can be named as the “Ramen King”? And of course the reputation of Ippudo is way too hard to resist and endure.
Ippudo (Singapore)
#04-02/03/04
Mandarin Gallery
Orchard Road
Tel: 6235 2797

No comments:

Post a Comment